THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS
WE GET THE MOST OFTEN ABOUT
VINYL WATERPROOF DECK SKINS:
01. WHAT EXACTLY ARE VINYL WATERPROOF DECK SKINS?
Deck Skins are a space-age derivative roofing material that
is very, very thick (60 mils). It's strong like titanium. It's very
malable and soft to the touch (which is why it feels so good under your
feet). But, instead of it being applied to a commercial
building's flat roof, (like you'd find covering your local shopping
center, hospital or office building), it is stretched tight and glued
down to your deck. It's much costlier than the black rolled roofing
materials that are on those shopping centers I just mentioned. That's
because it is MUCH thicker. It is much prettier (it comes in lots of
colors!). Much more durable so it can handle you walking around on it
(if you ever stay in a highrise hotel and look down on the flat roofs
of the commercial buildings around you, you'll notice those roofs
always have "walkways" that are ususally wood planks so the workers can
get across the roof to the air conditioners, etc.). The reason you
need those wooden plank walkways is because if you walked on that black
stuff — you'd crack it and water would come gushing into the building
on the next rain. By contrast, Vinyl Deck Skins like the type we
recommend and install, you can literally drive cars on without doing
any damage to them. That's why we can offer the 30 Year Waterproof
Guarantee Against Leakage! We could probably offer a 50 year
guarantee, but what's the difference? Go HERE to watch the video where Grant Barlow explains what Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins are. Go HERE to watch the video on our Guarantee.
02. WHAT IS THE MY WATERPROOF DECK.com GUARANTEE? ANSWER: Our guarantee is simple and straight forward. If we install your Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins, we'll guarantee that they will not leak and fail you for thirty years. If they do we'll come back to your home or commercial building and repair or replace the damaged Deck Skin at our cost. There is very little fine print with respect to our guarantee. Please go HERE to read it for yourself and watch the video Grant Barlow, My WaterProof Deck's founder has prepared for you. We have installed thousands upon thousands or square feet of this amazing product for many, many years — and we haven't had a single one fail yet! We've been waterproofing decks, balconies and porches for thirty-five years and we haven't had a single leak in all those traditional installations either. You're covered.
03. CAN I INSTALL IT ON MY EXISTING DECKS? ANSWER: The short answer is "YES". Mostly, that's exactly what we do. 90% of our business is tearing out, replacing, and repairing decks and balconies that have failed miserably. By that, what I mean is: We mostly are saving a homeowner's residence from water damage caused by improper deck waterproofing. The enemy to the decks and balconies hanging off the side of your home is rain water. Those decks you love to sit on and view your beautiful surroundings from are, generally, ticking time bombs that will eventually cause your home severe mold and water damage. Even my own home, which is beautiful and was built in 1994 and has a gorgeous deck off the master bedroom, had to be torn apart to waterproof it properly. I had damage to the floor in my own bedroom and damage to the ceiling in the dining room beneath it! Go HERE to see the video Grant Barlow prepared for you about installing Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins on your existing decks.
04. HOW ARE DECK SKINS INSTALLED? ANSWER: When we arrive at your home, if you already have a deck, we'll strip your deck's surface back so we can rebuild it with the proper "SLOPE". (Go HERE to watch a video on what slope is and why you need it.) Then we make sure the new surface of your deck is as smooth as a bowling alley lane during a national tournament. Then we tightly stretch and heat weld a custom fitted Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skin to your deck's surface. Then we finish all the edges with all kinds of special fittings designed to make sure the edges never curl-up and allow water to get under the Deck Skin. Then we guarantee it won't leak for thirty years! Go HERE to watch Grant Barlow, our founder, give you a more comprehensive explanation about our installation process.
05. CAN DECK SKINS BE INSTALLED ON CONCRETE? ANSWER: Yes. We've installed our Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins on hundreds of concrete balconies and deck at several condominium and apartment complexes all over the United States. The company founder, Grant Barlow, is the world's only trained, certified master installer of Dependable Brand concrete waterproofing undercoatings. This is important to you because the trick to properly sealing a concrete deck, balcony, porch or floor is knowing EXACTLY how much water you've got oozing up from the concrete you're waterproofing. Concrete, of course, is made with a lot of water initially. Well, concrete takes as long as 100 years to dry. In the meantime, that water is coming up through the concrete so it can dry on the top surface. This is why when you put outdoor carpeting over concrete, and you lift it up, the concrete is "sweating". That sweating process is natural. It also completely ruins any type of covering you put over it. It blisters. It bubbles. You get the idea. Well, Grant Barlow, went to the world's leading authority on sealing concrete so the water can't get to the surface. Then he asked them to train him in exactly how to prevent water from bubbling up. Why? So he could be the world's foremost authority on applying waterproofing deck skins to the top layer of concrete. Why? So our Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins can be applied to ANY concrete surface and virtually eliminate any chance of that concrete surface ever leaking or bubbling up and ruining the deck skins. Go HERE to watch Grant give an educational orientation on this process. One of the more interesting challenges we've faced was waterproofing the concrete roof of an underground parking garage. The garage is below ground at a nice apartment complex. The top of the parking garage is actually a large patio and gathering place for the tenants. Water was leaking down through the roof of the garage and dripping acidic liquids onto the finishes of Porches, Mercedes, and other exotic vehicles owned by the tenants. Guess who wasn't happy? We treated the entire project as if it was a huge concrete deck and ended the trauma for all concerned.
06. CAN I INSTALL WATERPROOF DECK SKINS MYSELF? ANSWER: Nope. Really. It takes a lot of specialized gear to make this happen. Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins from an installation standpoint are a nightmare. You've got to stretch them precisely. You've got to stretch them precisely the first time. You get one shot at gluing them down in the exact position. One! If you get that wrong you'll be on your hands and knees for a week trying to get the stuff back off the deck. And the list of installation headaches goes on for miles. There is just no way you can do this — even if you're an experienced commercial roofer. Go HERE to listen to Grant explain in more detail what goes into this process. You'll surrender immediately! (But, when you get these deck skins applied correctly, man, there is just NOTHING that comes close to them vis a vie waterproofing your decks better. Nothing.)
07. HOW LONG DO WATERPROOF DECK SKINS LAST? ANSWER: We don't honestly know. If our experience thirty years is a safe bet. In fact, that's exactly the bet we're comfortable with. That's exactly how long our guarantee against a waterproofing failure or leakage is good for. Go HERE to watch our video explaining our guarantee. Go HERE to watch our video on why they last so long.
08. WHAT IF MY WATERPROOF DECK SKINS GET DAMAGED? ANSWER: This is another of the greatest benefits you get out of installing our Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins. If they get damaged, we can fix them in no time. When we fix them they'll be just as waterproof as when we installed them for you. Got HERE and watch the video Grant Barlow, our founder, has prepared for you. It'll give you a real appreciation for just how advanced and ahead of the pack our products are. Grant also made videos answering the most popular pre-purchase questions about Pet Damage (go HERE for Pet Damage info) and Ice Damage (go HERE for Ice Damage info). We've thought of everything, because we've encountered everything. And, we've encountered everything, over and over! Waterproofing decks, balconies and porches is a pretty small niche, we admit. But, no matter how small this craft is in the grand scheme of things — we take great pride in being the world's leading authority on it everyday. On every job. Every time.
09. CAN ICE DAMAGE MY DECK SKINS? ANSWER: It would have to be an artic glacier. This stuff is so tough and so imperivious to climate, even your snow blower won't damage it! Go HERE and listen to Grant explain why.
10. HOW MUCH MAINTENANCE IS REQUIRED? ANSWER: Short answer? Very little. Go HERE and watch Grant explain what he's found matters to keep you Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins in perfect condition for years and years. You have a better chance of changing the deck skins because you want a new color, than you do changing them because they weren't maintained properly.
11. HOW DO I CLEAN THESE DECK SKINS ONCE I INSTALL THEM? ANSWER: Do
you have a sponge, bucket and Mr. Clean? Well, using them four times a
year is good enough. Watch Grant Barlow stand behind a number of
household brand cleaners and explain what you can and can't do when
cleaning our Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins. Notice how he never even
holds a single detergent in his hands while explaining this. It's just
a table full of props Procter and Gamble would be proud to stand next
to. Seriously, cleaning our deck skins is as easy as cleaning a
kitchen floor. Go HERE to watch the product placement video and hear Grant explain what I told you in this paragraph.
12. WHAT IS "SLOPE" AND WHY DO I NEED IT? ANSWER: Slope is the pitch or fall of your deck's surface starting at your home and dropping slightly as you head out to the edge of your deck (where your deck railings would be found). At your home the deck is higher than at the outside deck edge. This allows the water to run off easily. But, don't worry about the slight "slope" of your deck. You won't be able to see it with your eye or feel it beneath your feet. Go HERE and allow Grant to explain why that's the case. It's pretty interesting. It's very necessary, too.
13. WHAT ARE THE "SEAMS" ALL ABOUT ON DECK SKINS? ANSWER: The seams are unique to our deck waterproofing process. Essentially, they are the strongest part of our process and provide you with the best long-term waterproofing outcome. Grant explains this and shows you exactly what they look like and why they're so powerful when it comes to protecting your home from future water damage and mold infestation. Go HERE and see this for yourself.
14. WHAT IF MY DECK HAS FLOOR DRAINS (OR OTHER DRAINS)? ANSWER: If you've already got drains in your deck or balcony, then you've probably get a larger rooftop deck. This is the place we encounter them the most. We have so many specially designed and specially manufactured drain assembly enhancements that will get the water off your deck fast — even in a downpour — or an ocean side pier (see our photograph of this application HERE). In other words, you don't have an existing drain challenge we haven't already handled a hundred time. Wait till you see how we engineer how and where we get the water off your deck and give you a "warning" system to make sure leaves aren't causing you problems on your deck! Go HERE and watch the video that Grant made covering this aspect. He shows off some of the weapons we have for combating the rotten wood and damage caused by most rooftop deck drains.
15. THE RAILING POSTS — DO THEY GET WATERPROOFED, TOO? WHY? ANSWER: They sure do! Your railing posts are in the top two reasons deck waterproofing fails for 95% of all decks eventually! Go HERE and see for yourself how we attack this problem and make sure it never happens to you. You will be hard-pressed to find another deck waterproofing company that understands this aspect of protecting your home than My WaterProof Deck.com — let alone has spent the time, energy and money perfecting this most crucial of processes necessary to hand you the world's only 30 Year Guarantee Against Leakage. (Go HERE to review our outstanding guarantee!)
16. WHERE DO OTHER FORMS OF DECK WATERPROOFING LEAK OR FAIL? WHY? ANSWER: Honestly, other than Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins, just about every other form of long-term waterproofing solution is a prescription for future failure. Now, before you think that statement is so one-sided that it has no "balance" let me explain why I'm saying this. First of all, I'm making a distinction between "waterproofing" your deck or balcony — not covering it (like you would with a stain, or sealant, or even a heavy composite deck material). That's because none of those will give you any true waterproofing results. Plus, you've got to keep reapplying the stains and coatings forever — all the while your deck itself is deteriorating. So, the short answer is, all the 20th Century, outdated waterproofing solutions you've grown-up with are just plain nasty and near worthless (again, from a waterproofing standpoint). Would you like another way to prove what I'm saying is true? Ask ANY OF THEM to issue a 30 Year Guarantee Against Leakage or Failure. They're answer will say it all! Go HERE and allow Grant to explain how and where the others fail — and why. REMEMBER: What you're really trying to accomplish (besides the obvious aspect of having a beautiful deck with a non-slip, smooth, soft to the touch deck floor) it NOT every having rain water break through the surface of your deck and work its way into the walls, ceilings and floors of the home attached to your deck. . . namely YOURS!
17. WHAT DECK RAILINGS SHOULD I USE? WHY? ANSWER: Aluminum powder-coated, maintenance-free deck railings that come close to disappearing from your view when you're looking across your deck! That's the kind you want! Yes. That's all we recommend, sell and install. Go HERE and find out why. Grant does a pretty good job of Show-N-Tell with the deck railing samples on this video.
18. WHERE ELSE CAN AND SHOULD VINYL WATERPROOF DECK SKINS BE USED? WHY? ANSWER: We haven't begun to scratch the surface of where our Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skins can deliver extraordinary results. In fact, if you strip-out the word, "Deck", this stuff belongs anywhere you want or need a sanitary, non-slip, low-maintenance, safe, "install it an forget it" flooring solution. There is a big list of places we've installed this product HERE, go watch it and you'll be amazed you've never heard of this product!
19. DO VINYL DECK SKINS HOLD HEAT? ANSWER: No. They are the perfect companion for hot tub and pool decks that are exposed to the hot sun most days of the year (like Las Vegas, for example). While the deck skin itself is very thick compared to other forms of deck coverings — they are actually pretty thin compared to, say, composite deck materials you see at the large home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Grant Barlow, our founder, does a good job of explaining all the reasons this is so HERE. Please watch his informative video.
20. WILL MY PETS DAMAGE MY DECK SKINS EVENTUALLY? ANSWER: Not even if you're keeping a rhinocerous on your deck! You're not, are you? There isn't a domestic pet we're aware of that has ever clawed, scratched, chewed or otherwise damaged a single Vinyl Waterproof Deck Skin we've ever installed. Not one. Go HERE if you'd like to see and hear Grant tell you this himself. This product is very durable. Spot and Kitty are no match!